Other hashes with DSA keys

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Mar 14 15:57:18 CET 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:02:21 -0600, John Clizbe said:

> I don't know that "extended the standard" is the language I'd use. More to
> the point would be "second guessed the IETF OpenPGP WG". Did they even
> meet at last week's IETF meeting? The current draft, rfc2440bis-12,
> expires in May of this year.

Yes, there was a meeting.  As usual a new draft will be posted as soon
as the old one is too expire - or well, this time we might really be
able to get he new RFC out.

> My view is that it doesn't make sense /right now/ to break DSS/DSA by ad
> hoc extensions. The new hashes are already in GnuPG 1.4, they can be fully

That is the common understanding of the OpenPGP WG too.  We know that
there are problems but it would we not wise to rush out ad hoc fixes.
Thus the next RFC will have some warnings and the WG will the start over
to discuss the problems at hand and work on an Update of OpenPGP.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner