Gnupg-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 34

lord grinny grinny3004 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 15:45:41 CET 2005

John Clizbe wrote:

> lord grinny wrote:
>

>>>I don't think GPG is at fault here.  Please type
the

>>following
>>
>>>in a command prompt:
>>>
>>>nslookup keyserver.kjsl.com
>>
>>I tried this, but my DNS is definitly set up okee.
>>
>>C:\Documents and
>>Settings\Administrator.GRINNY>nslookup
>>keyserver.kjsl.com
>>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1:
>>Non-existent domain
>>*** Default servers are not available
>>Server:  UnKnown
>>Address:  192.168.0.1
>>
>>Non-authoritative answer:
>>Name:    keyserver.kjsl.com
>>Address:  69.36.241.130
>>
>>192.168.0.1 is my gateway (A windows 98 box serving
as
>>a router)
>>

> That response to nslookup tells me your DNS setup is
NOT ok. You could be
> getting a DNS resolver timeout causing the lookup to
fail.

> The D-Link 604-e is wonderfully dodgy at doing DNS
forwarding - at least
> that my experience with ours.
>
> Try this to see if it's DNS that's the problem: list
keyserver.kjsl.com in
> your hosts file (%winDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
on Win2k, /etc/hosts
> on *nix):
>
> 69.36.241.130	keyserver.kjsl.com
>
> See if your problem 'resolves' itself. You'll need
to flush the name cache
> on Windows after changing the hosts file (ipconfig
/flushdns).

http://http://192.168.0.1/st_devic.html, and setup
> your Windows box(es) to use the DNS servers your
broadband provider
> supplies to the router in the DHCP setup.  I'd
suggest some, but I don't
> know who's your ISP. Just setup your Windows box to
use a static address
> on 192.168.0/24, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway
192.168.0.1, and whatever
> DNS servers your ISP says to use.

I'm sorry, I don't think I have explained it
correctly. My normal box (just
called 'Grinny') is connected to the win98 router. The
win98 is a normal pc
setup with Internet Connection Sharing so it acts as
gateway and as DHCP server.
The win98 box is called 'mentor5'. 'Mentor5' routes
all incoming connections to
the wireless pci card that's connected to a free
wireless network that spans the
entire city (http://www.wirelessleiden.nl). So I don't
actually have an ISP, I
internet for free :-). So 'mentor5' gets it's IP
address from a local wireless
node that's connected (wireless) to the proxy server,
that also seems to run the
DNS server for the entire network (When connection to
the proxy is lost, I can't
ping the local node by it's name, only by its ip).

I did what you asked me, and put the line in 'hosts'
and ran 'ipconfig
/flushdns', but the result is exactly the same.
Allthough it does complain about
  not knowing the name for 192.168.0.1, it does answer
my question and gives me
the _correct_ ip address of the server. If I do a ping
to the same server, it
fails because the proxy server won't allow pings to
the internet, but it does
resolve the ip address correctly. Do you really think
this could still be a DNS
problem, would I then still be able to browse the
internet with my browser? By
the way do you know how I can tell 'Grinny' that the
name for 192.168.0.1, is
'mentor5'? It does know that 'mentor5' is 192.168.0.1.

Thanks for all your help, I know you must be getting
tired of it (I know I am),
but one day I'll get it to work, this is personal now.

- Grinny -

Real programmers don't write in BASIC.  Actually, no
programmers write in BASIC
after reaching puberty.