Proxy trouble

lord grinny grinny3004 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 15:43:39 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get Gnu-pg working over a proxy server,
but can't get it to work.
I'm using Windows 2000 SP 4 and have tried both verion
1.4.0a and 1.4.1 (cvs
build) which both gave the same error. I've also tried
1.4.0.2 for cygwin which
also gave me the same error.
I've added the option 'keyserver-options
honor-http-proxy' to my gpg.conf, have
set the environment variable 'http_proxy', to
http://proxy.wleideb.net:3128 and
gpg.exe is on my PATH.

Now when I try to receive a key from the keyserver, it
tells me it can't find
the keyserver.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GRINNY>gpg
--keyserver x-hkp://keyserver
> .kjsl.com --keyserver-options honor-http-proxy
--recv-keys 0xBB36BA75
> gpg: requesting key BB36BA75 from hkp server
keyserver.kjsl.com
> Host:           keyserver.kjsl.com
> Command:        GET
> gpgkeys: HTTP URL is
`hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com/pks/lookup?op=get&options=mr&sear
> ch=0xBB36BA75'
> ?: keyserver.kjsl.com: Host not found: ec=10065
> gpgkeys: HKP fetch error: No error
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

I know my proxy settings are good, cause I use the
same HTTP proxy for firefox.
The weirdest thing is, if I repeat the command above
with an IP address in stead
of a hostname, it also fails, but with a different
message:

> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GRINNY>ping
keyserver.kjsl.com

> Pingen naar keyserver.kjsl.com [69.36.241.130] met
32 byte gegevens:

> Control-C
> ^C
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.GRINNY>gpg
--keyserver x-hkp://69.36.241
> .130 --keyserver-options honor-http-proxy
--recv-keys 0xBB36BA75
> gpg: requesting key BB36BA75 from hkp server
69.36.241.130
> Host:           69.36.241.130
> Command:        GET
> gpgkeys: HTTP URL is
`hkp://69.36.241.130/pks/lookup?op=get&options=mr&search=0x
> BB36BA75'
> gpgkeys: HKP fetch error: No error
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

My proxy only allows access to port 80 (HTTP) and port
443 (SSL). Is this a
known bug that hasn't been fixed yet, or am I doing
something really stupid?

Thanks,

Grinny