signing and encrypting newbie question

Shaun Lipscombe shaun.lipscombe at gmsl.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 16:38:22 CET 2005

* Mark Ivs wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a very new to PGP. So please bare with my
> question if it is really simple.
>
> I am working on a project where I need to put some
> signed encrypted files on an ftp site and our customer
> will ftp it from there.
>
> Here is what they want me to do. Please let me know if
> it is do-able.
>
> We have already  exchanged our public keys. Their
> public key is added to our key ring. Before placing
> the files on our ftp site for their retrieval,
> customer wants me to SIGN the files with our public
> key and ENCRYPT it using their public key.

Doesn't make sense signing the files with your public key since the only
person able to verify them would be you.. you sign with your private
key.

gpg --sign <file> will sign the file with your private key
gpg --clearsign <file> will sign the file and leave it in an ascii
format (you didn't say wether the files are binary or ascii) so use
whichever you need.

to encrypt and sign its gpg --encrypt --sign --recipient 'blah' <file>