Compiling gnupg for mipsel

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 17:56:58 CET 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 1:53 pm, Xabier Iurgi Arginzoniz Cebreiro wrote:
> I've tried compiling it with everything disabled (--disable-[all de
> variations]) and finally reduce it to 3,6MB. When I look at the size of
> the x86 linux binaries, I see they only use 600KB aprox.

You've used strip?
man strip
strip - Discard symbols from object files.

Packaging schemes will strip the debugging symbols but when compiling from
source, it's usually left to you because if you are developing code, you need
debugging symbols to work with gdb etc.

Stripping one of my own library files compiled from a tarball makes it go from
53Kb to 9.3kb - a 6 fold decrease that should bring your 3.6Mb closer to
600kb.

Sometimes, strip can be put into the make options or it can be done in
preparing the package.

--

Neil Williams