Removing AES

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Feb 10 11:17:58 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:27:40AM -0500, Adam Pavelec wrote:
> Our organization has a partner who claims that version 7.0.1 of
> PGP is incompatible with all versions of GnuPG (as well as PGP
> v8.0.2).  Basically, this person has stated that GnuPG defaults
> to AES256, AES192, and AES128 symmetric algorithms as the
> preferred symmetric algorithms when creating a key, and that
> this is the cause of the incompatibility.
>
> Is it possible to create a new GPG key that excludes any and all
> AES algorithms.  If so, how would one go about doing such a
> thing?

This is a "how do I use this blowtorch to turn this screw" sort of
question.  The underlying assumption is incorrect, so the request
(removing AES) won't solve the problem.

If you can post some details about what isn't working, and what
happens when you try, then we can likely help you.  Hundreds, if not
thousands, of people use GnuPG along with PGP 7 and 8 every day.

Be specific about what you did, and what you saw.

David