help needed desperately: gpg --decrypt hanging

Dave Della Costa dave at acadaca.com
Fri Oct 31 15:03:15 CET 2003

Yes David, that does work--here's the body of an email I send to someone
else, didn't realize I wasn't sending to the list, sorry:

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:53, Newton Hammet wrote:
> 1. What exactly are you typing on the command line?
>
> gpg --decrypt
>
> will hang.  it is waiting for input from stdin.

I understand.   So, I give it input--a piece of encrypted text, and it
gives me this output:

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "xxxx xxxxxx <xxxxx at somedomain.com>"
2048-bit ELG-E key, ID XXXXXXXX, created 2002-02-18 (main key ID
XXXXXXXX)

Enter passphrase:

I then enter the passphrase, and I see this, and nothing else, until I
hit ctrl-c:

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID E66D9B0B, created 2002-02-18
      "Jason Feingold <orders at machinerunner.com>"

So, I guess this is improper usage then?  Why does it let me get this
far, i.e. asks for a passphrase and whatnot?

The other thing that is strange to me is that the Crypt::GPG package
that I'm using with perl worked fine before I started messing with this
stuff yesterday, now it does not.  I assume this is because it is
somehow using the same method to hand information to gpg for decryption,
but I'm not positive.  Obviously that is not a question for this list.
But I'd like to verify that the usage I'm trying above is incorrect and
then I'll try to figure that out.

> the following should not hang :::
>
> gpg --decrypt encrypted.file
>
> -or-
>
> cat encrypted.file | gpg --decrypt

You're right, these two methods *do* work.

So, worse case scenario I use some shell scripting making these sorts of
calls rather than the Crypt::GPG package with I'm guessing tries in the
same way to decrypt as I am above.

> Try editting the keys you have imported:
>
> gpg --edit-key <keyid>
>
> where "<keyid>" is a place holder for some key on key ring you know
> the password to.
>
> See if that hangs...

I was able to run gpg --edit-key on the key I've been trying to use to
decrypt with, I changed the owner trust and then ctrl-c'ed out of
there.  So I guess that is working fine.

> just quit from that command line w/o saving any changes.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Let me know if you have more information or more questions.
>
> I know the above may be stupid questions but I always start there
first.

Absolutely; I understand.

> Regards,
> Newton