Long time PGP / GNUPG user.. new to this list.. need 1.2.2 setup help please.

John Clizbe JPClizbe@comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 04:09:01 2003

dklivian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using pgp since command line 2.6.2 (or there abouts.)  I have
> also been using gnupg 1.0.6-2 sucessfully for some time.  I'm running on
> a Windoze 2000 system.
>
> I tried the w32 client for 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 and I can't get either to
> work... it keeps wanting to go to:
>
> "c:/gnupg/a:\rings\<keyfiles>" (or something very similar) where
> a:\rings is where I keep my keys.  I deleted all registry entries
> relating to GNUPG and still have this error.  I'm using an options file
> in the c:\gnupg\ directory to set the path to the keys.
>
> To enable gpg from any command prompt I start with the following line:
>
> path =%path%;c:\gnupg
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I tried going to www.gnupg.org earlier today, and the site came up just
> fine.. then I tried it later this evening (July 22nd 10 pm EST) and the
> site does not respond.  Clearly it's either down or under a denial of
> service attack.
>
> P.S. Does mailing to this list automatically sign me up to it?  If not
> please reply directly as I'm not sure how to be able to read your
>   I pride myself on computer skills, and this is humbling. :-/

options was renamed gpg.conf a while back (more gnu-ish standard).
Copy or rename your file.

You *REALLY* need the stuff in the registry. Here's a snippet:

REGEDIT4

	[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GnuPG]
	"OptFile"="C:\\gnupg\\gpg.conf"
	"HomeDir"="C:\\gnupg\\GPG"
	"gpgProgram"="C:\\gnupg\\GPG.exe"

HomeDir is the minimum requirement. When gpg starts (It's directory in in
your %PATH%, right?) it looks in HomeDir to find gpg.conf if OptFile isn't
set. Keyrings (pubring.gpg & secring.gpg are default names) are in HomeDir
or redirected in gpg.conf. "gpg --version" from the cmdline will tell you
where it is looking for the gpghome dir. Go ahead and and the gnupg
directory to the PATH environment variable in Control Panel.

You might want to check out the Nullify builds of GnuPG. Built with
VisualStudio, they're a bit more optimized for Windows http://www.nullify.org

Want a GUI for key management - GPGshell seems to be favored by most PGP
converts. http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/gpgshell.html Over on the
right of this page are some links under "More Information about GnuPG".
There are two links to pages detailing how to install GnuPG/GPGshell.
My personal preference is for the second:
http://www.jfrisch.de/GPG-Install/Seiten-englisch/installation-e.htm
It installs GPGshell as a subdirectory under gnupg.

WinPT is an alternative GUI which is also opensource.
http://www.winpt.org/  (will redirect to SourceForge)

Subscribing to the list: Send an email containing the line "subscribe
gnupg-users" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org

HTH, write back if you have any other questions.

- --
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe AT attbi DOT com
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10
  "Most men take the straight and narrow. A few take the road less
traveled.  I chose to cut through the woods."
  "There is safety in Numbers... *VERY LARGE PRIME* Numbers
9:00PM Tonight on _REAL_IRONY_:  Vegetarian Man Eaten by Cannibals