Script with sensitive info

James R. Hendrick hendrick@keane-nne.com
Wed Jul 23 22:41:02 2003

If something is encrypted, to decrypt it you need to provide access to =
the "secret" (password, etc.)

If this script has to access encrypted data, it will need to access the =
key to unlock that data.

You *can* store that key in a file (but then you are at the mercy of the =
rest of the system security to protect that key).

You *can* require that a human input that key when the script starts up =
(maybe once per system boot). This still requires the key stay in memory =
in the clear (better than disk, but still possible to access).

Your choice.