No [GNUPG:] tag when 'not a detached signature' error

Xavier Nodet xavier.nodet@free.fr
Mon Jan 6 11:35:02 2003

Hi,

I noticed, using GnuPG 1.2.1, that when there is an error because
a signature should have been detached, there is never a corresponding
message beginning with "[GNUPG:] ", although I use --status-fd.

I got this problem when trying to verify the signature of an ill-formed
PGP-MIME message, and parsing only the "[GNUPG:] " lines.

Here are steps to reproduce this problem.

C:\tmp>echo clear-text > message.txt
C:\tmp>gpg -a --sign message.txt
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key
C:\tmp>gpg --status-fd=2 --command-fd 0 --verify message.asc message.txt
gpg: not a detached signature
C:\tmp>

I feel there should also be an output line like:

[GNUPG:] ERRSIG ...

Did I miss something?

--
Xavier Nodet
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759