Certs by a revoked key

Richard Laager rlaager@wiktel.com
Tue Feb 25 00:12:01 2003

Well, according to the letter of the RFC, "...old signatures are
still valid." If one was to count new signatures as valid, then the
revocation would be pretty much useless. So, I would consider Alice's
signature on Baker's key valid and her signature on Charlie's key
invalid.

As a threat model, an attacker could still cause problems by forging
the timestamp on signatures made after the revocation. But, then
again, if an attacker has your private key, all bets are off. The
only way to prevent this sort of attack would be to use a
"compromised" revocation reason (or not give a reason).

I don't believe that timestamps are untrustworthy though. Computers
have clocks which should be set properly. If you're not going to set
your clock properly, it shouldn't surprise you that certain things
like this may appear "wrong". As for embedded devices without RTCs: I
don't have an easy answer. It's very difficult to implement OpenPGP
properly without a clock. Filling in bogus timestamps is going to
cause problems. Again, you should see that coming when you're using
known-bogus information.

Richard Laager