Key Ownership

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 19:12:38 CET 2003

On Friday 19 Dec 2003 6:45 pm, Jenkins, Brian P. wrote:
> When I encrypt a file with the recipient's key I sometimes get the
> following:
>
> "There is no indication that the key belongs to the user"

The key has not been signed by one of your trusted keys so there's no way to
be sure that the key really belongs to the person who claims to own it.

> Why is this so and what can I do to eliminate this issue/error?

It's not an error, just a caution for you to note that you need to verify the
ownership of this key by different means.

You need to arrange/attend some kind of meeting of other users where you can
exchange key data, verify photo ID and confirm email addresses (via
correspondence) so that you can sign their keys and they can sign yours.

In due course, more and more keys will then show up as marginally or fully
trusted.

Try a listing on biglumber (link below), contact a local Linux User Group
(link from the dclug site below) and sign your own emails - that at least
publicises that you do use GnuPG and that you would be interested in any
keysigning events in your area.

More info on keysigning at the dclug site:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/gnupgsign.html
and at
http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html

--