gpg vs gpgv default keyring directory...

Bob Avery-Babel Bob at yellowbugcomputers.com
Mon Dec 1 19:37:46 CET 2003

Hello Everyone. I'm hoping someone can clear up some confusion for me. I'm running gnupg-1.2.3-3.1.92.mdk on Mandrake 9.2.

I see that gpg stores the public keys in ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg

I also noticed the gpgv command, which is supposed to be a short hand way of verifying a file?

It appears that the gpgv command stores or is looking for the public keys here:

~/.gnupg/trustedkeys.gpg.

Why are there two different spots to store the keyrings? If the gpgv command is supposed to be a subset of the gpg command why is there a difference? It seems like the gpgv command does not see any of the keys I have in my keyring.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Bob