Discussion medium proposal.

Justin Troutman justinrt@bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 15 11:43:02 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn@speakeasy.net>
To: <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 4:47 AM
Subject: Re: Discussion medium proposal.

>I see you got no replies to this when originally sent. I was going back
>over old messages and noticed this one so

I appreciate the reply.

>The fact it's isolated has benefits. The downside is that this makes it
>more difficult for some IRC clients to access (I maintain a presence on
>EFnet IRC and this would mean I would probably need to open a second
>instance of my client to participate).

True, it's isolation brings forth benefits. The largest channel consists of
10 to 15 regular users, with a maximum of about 25.  There are a few
channels with >5 users, making the total userbase very small compared to
Efnet, by far.
With this small userbase, we don't go through much hassle with lag time or
incompetent users who enjoy flooding the channel, et cetera.

>Is this server still up? If so, would you mind telling us where it is?

Yes it is and not at all. Here is a list of the server hosts, most all of
which connect at port 6667 by default:

sphinx.or.us.gammaforce.org
monolith.ok.us.gammaforce.org
monolith.projectgamma.com
irc.csoft.net
resin.csoft.net

When you arrive, you can join #gnupg or #projectgamma (base channel for the
Gamma security project, which is dormant at the moment), of which contains
most of the server operators and regulars.

I feel that this would be a great addition for discussion, along with the
mailing list, in that a group discussion can take place in real time.  If
anything, it can only provide convenience in some way to some people.  The
offer will stand, either way.

Feel free to drop by and check things out.

Cheers,

Justin Troutman
Cryptographic Design/Consultancy