Signing Keys w/ Multiple User IDs

David Scribner dscribner@yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 04:00:01 2002

Hello all! I have really enjoyed reading through the
gnupg-user archives, and have learned a lot from
everybody on the finer points in using GnuPG, but I
have a few questions that I've not been able to find
the answers to in the manual, FAQs or the many
articles I've read...

I know that when you're editing a key to attach a
signature, and that key has more than one user ID
(email address), you can select the user IDs that you
want to attach your signature to. My questions are:

1.) What benefit does signing multiple user IDs on
this key provide (to both the keyholder and myself)?

2.) When signing another's key where the signature(s)
are exportable, is it best to attach your signature to
all user IDs present?

3.) When signing another's key where the signature(s)
are NOT exportable, such as a key used to verify a
software package, if this key contains multiple user
IDs, is it advisable to sign all user IDs on this key,
or will signing the primary user ID suffice?

Thanks for your help!

--Dave

=====
--
  David D. Scribner               Email: dscribner_at_bigfoot.com
  IT Consultant & Services      Web: www.bigfoot.com/~dscribner/