Encrypting in a directory

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Apr 17 00:21:02 2002

It's very close in *NIX:

for i in *
do
  gpg --passphrase-fd 0 -o gpg_save/$i --symmetric $i < passphrase.txt
done

This presumes that gpg_save is a subdirectory to the directory where this
runs.
This gives one file out for each file in.  If the desire is a single
encrypted file for all files in the directory then:

  tar -czf my_dir.tar .
  gpg --passphrase-fd 0 -o my_dir.tar.pgp -- symmetric my_dir.tar <
passphrase.txt

I am presuming that a *doze user would use PKZIP or equivalent instead of
tar.
--Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Frank [mailto:alf@matchups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 2:27 PM
To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
Subject: Encrypting in a directory

In Windows, first put your passphrase in a file, say passphrase.txt.
Then (all on one line, and caution: I have not tested this),
   for %i in (*.* ) do gpg --passphrase-fd 0 -o gpg\%i --symmetric %i <
   passphrase.txt
The DOS for command will execute a line for multiple files, substituting
the filename for %i throughout.
The --passphrase-fd 0 will read the passphrase from standard input, which
is redirected later with < .
-o sets the output file to a subdirectory (which you should create first)
so that the for command will not attempt to call gpg for the newly-created
.gpg files

I'm confident that Linux/Unix, etc. have a similar command, but due to the
exigencies of employment, I'm not as familiar with them as with MSW.

--Alan Frank