Generating entropy to complete --gen-key?

Claude Johnson khyron4eva@yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 20:37:01 2001

I'm wondering if anyone has an elegant solution to
this problem. Or can maybe explain how GnuPG utilizes
entropy sources in key generation.

I have a FreeBSD 4.2-REL box that I can't seem to
generate keys on. When I run "gpg --gen-key" I get to
the point where GnuPG asks for typing or other sources
of entropy, it looks like its doing *something*, and
then all activity stops unless I Ctrl-C out.

I fear that because this system has a minimal set of
applications running on it (and no X, window manager,
etc.), the system is not getting enough sources of
entropy or is generating it EXTREMELY slowly since
there are a limited number of sources. I want to know
how can I work around this problem on a box that
doesn't need a lot of activity happening on it? How
can I induce the system to generate enough entropy to
complete the --gen-key command?

Thanks in advance!