Can't check pgp-6.5.8 signatura

Andrew McDonald andrew@mcdonald.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 23:53:01 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:26:51PM -0400, mike ledoux wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Andrew McDonald wrote:
> >I don't think OpenPGP itself specifies the way to send an OpenPGP
> >format message within a mail. (or does someone want to correct me on
> >this?)
>
> Sure it does, at least for cleartext signatures. RFC2440, section 7.
Hmm. Sort of. It specifies a way to "sign textual octet stream with ASCII armoring". Which is clearly applicable to e-mail environments. It doesn't tell me what MIME content type I should use. Actually looking a bit further, section 2.4 says "An application that implements OpenPGP for messaging SHOULD implement OpenPGP-MIME."
I don't think you can call it a 'very new message format'. It has, after all, been around for five years now. RFC 2015 is dated October 1996. -- Andrew McDonald E-mail: andrew@mcdonald.org.uk http://www.mcdonald.org.uk/andrew/