FW: Inquiry

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Oct 16 17:36:01 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:16:21 -0400, Wilemon, Andrea A (AIT) said:

> GnuPG Users,
> Could you respond to my original inquiry about Self Decrypting Archives?
Self Decrypting Archives are a pretty bad idea; we recently had a long discussion on this topic. It is far easier to install gnupg once and have a secure system this way. You should find this discussion somewhere on ttp://lists.gnupg.org. The reason for the existence of SDAs are probably due to the costs of most proprietary software (e.g PGP). The GNU projects provides a way to download GnuPG without any cost and furthermore you are free to study, check, modify or redistribute this software. Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus