Changing my username in pub/sec key

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri Jul 20 09:06:02 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:50:21 +0200, Juergen Vollmer said:

> Hi,

> I used german Umlaut in my user name given for my keys. Now I realize, that
> they do not show up propperly. How can I change my name? --edit-key allows only
> to adduid and deluid, but not to modify a uid.
You can't change the name because it is public. You can revoke your name by revoking the self signature (revsig). OTOH, I won't change the name just becuase it is not displayed correctly. I assume that your local character set is ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) and that i the default character set GnuPG uses - so your name should be encoded correctly. However, due to changes in glibc/gettext some things are currently broken. If you set LANG=C your name should be displayed correctly. The next version will fix that. I have heard that PGP is not able to display usernames correctly (they are UTF-8 encoded). Ciao, Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus