International photo ID (was Re: Semi-off-topic - Netiquette ?)

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil.kjernsmo@astro.uio.no
Wed Jul 18 20:08:02 2001

Without addressing the discussion here, there is just this one point that
I'd like to comment on:

>> The only secure way to exchange signatures is when you have the
>> passport of the person - and the person ! - in front of you and she
>> gives you her public key, or the key id with the fingerprint.
>
>Passport forgery, anyone?
I am going to organize a keysigning party at the International Conference for Physics Students in Dublin, and we brought this up on on our mailing list. Around here, what is widely regarded as the strongest photo ID is the bank card, what you use to identify yourself to the bank. I heard that in the U.S. you can't really go anywhere without a Driver's License, but a driver's license around here is not really worth a lot. The new Norwegian passports aren't too bad, but nobody would trust the old ones (and they are worth a lot sold on the black market, I've heard). In Sweden, however, you would hardly get money from your own bank account if your passport was the only identification you had... Also, anybody can up with something that looks like an identity card, when they have in fact made it themselves. If you don't know what is customary in the country where the person comes from, there is no way you can judge the validity of the card. OK, so this raises the issue: In an international setting, how should people identify themselves? We figured that people should bring their passport _and_ some other photo ID of their choice, one that is generally regarded as strong. We should note what kind of ID is used so that we may, at least in principle check afterwards if in doubt. Are there any experiences on this topic? Best, Kjetil -- Kjetil Kjernsmo Graduate astronomy-student Problems worthy of attack University of Oslo, Norway Prove their worth by hitting back E-mail: kjetikj@astro.uio.no - Piet Hein Homepage <URL:http://www.astro.uio.no/~kjetikj/> Webmaster@skepsis.no OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC