effects and incompatibilities between GPG1.0.6 and PGP CKT 06

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 8 15:49:01 2001

Florian Weimer wrote:

>> Attention: It is the PGP CKT version from Imad R. Faiad, not the NAI PGP.
> So why is he using the PGP trademark? This is quite confusing.
The CKT (Cyber Knights Templar) pgp versions are based on the released NAI sourcecode, and solve several bugs and "features" in the NAI version. I'm not 100% sure (I don't have pgp > 5.0 here and don't use pgp > 2.x), but I believe this includes options like the option to disable the use of ADK's which NAI is unwilling to implement. I don't know if and how the name "pgp" is trademarked; but since there are GPL programs like pgp 2.3a using that name before any company used it I'm not sure if NAI can claim explusive rights. Fact is that they don't seem to go after all those altered versions. And there are a LOT altered pgp versions around there, see http://rmarq.pair.com/pgp/ for a (probably incomplete) list of them. And this is not exclusive for pgp; I have some changes I apply to each new version of gpg I use as well. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html