Can't gpg --gen-key

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Aug 23 09:52:01 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 02:09:32 -0400, CO Group Support said:

> Hi.  I'm trying to do gpg --gen-key on a FreeBSD system from a remote terminal
> (telnetted in) and, when it gets to the end and tries to generate the key, it
1. Don't use telnet - it is ridiculous to send the passphrase in clear 2. If you need to do this on a remote machine, use SSH [1]. 3. You should enable the random device on FreeBSD, I don't know how to do it, but with a proper confiuration the machine can collect enough entropy even without someone hitting on the keyboard. It should help to start some background jobs like "find / -type f xargs -n 100 grep jhdgfjhf" Werner [1] Entering passphrases over an SSH channel is not as secure as believed, it may be better to pipe the passphrase to the remote machine. See the recent Song/Wagner/Tian paper - it is in the news. -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus