New UK crypto law and an idea on how to defeat it

Raman Boucher raman@ZeroG.com
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:07:50 -0800 (PST)

Message from a new crypto junkie:

Unfortunately, I don't think this fully solves the problem.

Bob still has to 'lie' (at least that is how the cops will
feel about it). Ultimately Bob still has a way to get to
the meaningful plaintext...and given only a small sampling of
cyphertexts the cops will eventually get figure that out
(meaningless faketexts, incorrect file sizes...).

It may be possible for Bob to put them off temporarily by using
"meaningful" faketexts. But I suspect that won't last...cops
(at least in movies) see to be tenacious creatures.

This scheme seems to be an elaboration of Bob saying to
the cops "I lost that key". Because Bob can still get to the
meat, but the cops cannot...and only if Bob is caught
'with his hand in the cookie jar' can he legitimately be
arrested.

Better is for Bob to encrypt his message with Alice's key
as in the two-key system. He doesn't know the key, but
can get it. Bob can't coerce Alice to give up her key
(though the cops may be able to). Of course Bob must trust
Alice to cough up the key when necessary.

Perhaps for this purpose, Alice can be a bot. When tickled
in just the right way, Alice will give up her key...not a 'key'
perse, but still some way to keep the key safe.

Just my $0.02.
Raman

Raman Boucher                  Zero G Software, Inc.
415 512 7771 x310              514 Bryant Street
http://www.ZeroG.com           San Francisco CA 94107
InstallAnywhere:               Installer Construction Kit for Java
No Spectators.