[Gpg4win-devel] GnuPG with internal CCID driver

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Thu Jul 26 04:40:11 CEST 2018

Jiri Kerestes <jiri.kerestes at trustica.cz> wrote:
> I've done some hackery and I have a working w32 GnuPG build with libusb
> support.

Great.

> I'm not very familiar with Gpg4win development history, so before I
> dive into autotools to do this properly: is there any reason why
> Gpg4Win shouldn't be shipped with libusb and internal CCID driver?

No good technical reason, just historical, I suppose.

In the past, I suggested using the internal CCID driver is better (also)
for Windows and macOS, but no one has tried so far.

With the internal CCID driver, multiple cardreaders/tokens are
supported.  So, it's good if we can do that on Windows.

If the configuration is not that complicated, I will be glad if we can
put the internal CCID driver as a default for GPG4Win.

In my opinion, the only use case of scdaemon with PC/SC is that a person
uses PC/SC for other purposes and cannot stop the service, or it
requires some proprietary driver which works with PC/SC.

Please note that I don't use Windows, at all.  So, my opinion would be
irrelevant.  (All I do for Windows is cross-build of GnuPG for Windows.)