gpgme_op_genkey() parms parameter: really XML? (escaping ampersands and angle brackets)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 26 19:11:43 CET 2017

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 22:08, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> however, it's not clear to me that this is really XML -- it just looks
> like plaintext with XML-ish lines on the top and bottom.

Not really.  It was a quick hack to not specify anything.  We should
have written SGML so that it is clear that the users need to ask for the
DTD - which could be anything of course ;-).  I would propose to change
the doc to say XML-like and explain your questions.

> What should someone who wants to use angle-brackets and ampersands in
> these fields do?

Use gpgme_op_create_key instead.  Not as flexible as gpgme_op_genkey and
works only with 2.1 and (right now) OpenPGP but a much cleaner
interface.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner