Using Scute with a 4096-bit key and TLSv1.2?

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Sun Jan 15 15:21:05 CET 2017

On 01/06/2017 11:58 AM, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 16:08:03 +0200,
> Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:39, nicolas.boullis at ecp.fr said:
>>
>>> The other question remains: is there any plan to release Scute 1.5
>>> anytime soon?
>>
>> Damien: What do you think, shall I do a release?
>
> Ping.  Although Damien confirmed that a release would be a good idea,
> it looks like a release was never done.

Hold on, I have just noticed that there's a small problem with Scute
right now: It still relies on the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable to
locate the socket of a running GnuPG Agent (even though this variable is
obsolete since the beginning of the 2.1 branch), and when it cannot find
this variable, it tries looking for the standard socket only under
GnuPG's home directory and not under [/var]/run.

As a consequence, when used with GnuPG >= 2.1.13, Scute will never find
the agent's socket and thus will never be able to connect to an already
running agent. It will still work somehow because Scute will then launch
an agent in "pipe server" mode (that's why I did not notice the problem
before), but I think it would be better to update Scute so that it can
properly locate the socket.

I am working on it, hopefully I will send a patch soon.