Problems with pip install gpg

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 5 16:55:57 CET 2017

Hello,
for what it is worth: I agree that we should make a reasonable effort
to support standard work-flows that python devs might try.

Some background:
https://packaging.python.org/distributing/ ist the official guide
how to "configure, package and distribute your own" Python products.
The Binary Extensions section is incomplete and states
"FIXME mention the fact that Linux distros have a requirement to build from
source in their own build systems anyway, so pre-built binaries for
*nix systems currently aren't common"

pip is a standard-tool, so it is good that our python gpgme module tries to
use its conventions for the features it is offering.

I also consider it fine for a python module to demand a larger dependency to
be already installed. (Example
https://github.com/pyldap/pyldap/blob/master/setup.cfg
{{{
# These defines needs OpenLDAP built with
# ./configure --with-cyrus-sasl --with-tls
}}}
)

Am Dienstag 27 Dezember 2016 00:49:44 schrieb Bjarni Runar Einarsson:
> The other option, making the wrapper backwards compatible, so you
> can download the latest wrapper from pip, but build it against
> whatever older version of libgpgme your distribution is currently
> shipping

Another alternative:
What about getting better instructions how to get a gpgme  for the platform in
the pip message? A link to a wiki page that offers current packages for a
number of distros would be really helpful.

For example: A gpgme build for Debian Jessie and Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 LTS
(and the other included libraries) would be cool.

This seems useful not just for python users, but for all people that would
like to use a newer gpgme.

Best Regards,
Bernhard