gpg --card-status always create proxy private keys

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Feb 13 17:15:45 CET 2017

I'm not up to speed on all the fine detail. But perhaps there is a
different alternative that would work for you. GnuPG 2.1 has:

$ gpg2 --expert --edit-key [KEYID]
[...]
> addkey
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (3) DSA (sign only)
   (4) RSA (sign only)
   (5) Elgamal (encrypt only)
   (6) RSA (encrypt only)
   (7) DSA (set your own capabilities)
   (8) RSA (set your own capabilities)
  (10) ECC (sign only)
  (11) ECC (set your own capabilities)
  (12) ECC (encrypt only)
  (13) Existing key

Note option 13. You can use this to add an existing key from an OpenPGP
smartcard as well. So if you want to add existing keys from a card
infrastructure emulating an OpenPGP card, I think it could be integrated
in the same way you can, now with 2.1, add existing keys on real OpenPGP
cards. This was a workflow that didn't exist in 2.0.

HTH,

Peter.