porting gnupg to Android, is pth required?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Jan 19 15:41:01 CET 2012

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:52, hans at guardianproject.info said:
>
>> strange errors.  Also the 'allocsa' module seem to have become the
>> 'malloca' module, so that's what I used.  Any idea how much work it is
>> to remove gnulib?
>
> Gnulib is only used on non gnu platforms to support some important
> features not, or not well, defined by Posix.  You problem here is about
> the libc, used by Android.  I am pretty sure the gnulib folks are
> interested in helping out.
>
> Simon, do you think the problem is due to GnuPG's old style use of
> gnulib?  Or is Android not yet supported?

The error messages suggests it is the former, you need to integrate
gnulib in the documented way otherwise there will be many strange
compiler errors.  I don't recall any significant discussions involving
Android as a porting target, but I think that is mostly because of lack
of testers not that it is intentionally not supported.

I could help with the gnulib infrastructure in GnuPG if you want, I
think there is good opportunitity to reduce code duplication.

The first thing to do for Android would be to build a gnulib mega
tarball for the environment -- that way we'll identify any gnulib bugs
immediately.  Running the extensive set of self checks will also be
quite interesting, implementing a POSIX system is not easy.  Doing this
would be quite interesting.  Where do I find a android cross-compiler?

/Simon