porting gnupg to Android, is pth required?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jan 18 11:28:45 CET 2012

Hi,

I have not seen your previous two mails (HTML parts?), but let me give
you a short comment anyway:

>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012, at 16:09, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> > be a lot of work to get running on Android.  gnupg's ./configure seems
>> > to say that Pth is now required.  Is it possible to build gnupg without

Pth is for a looong time a requirement for GnuPG-2.  However, there are
only a few users of Pth left and thus we plan to drop Pth support.
Instead, we will use a new library (nPth) which has a very similar
interface but internally uses the systems's standard trhead
implementaions.  That is pthreads on most Unix systems and
WindowsThreads on Windows.  This change will help us to solve conflicts
with other libraries used by GnuPG and Pth.

There is a npth branch for GnupG which will soon be merged into master.

>> Well, I've gotten pth built for Android and am now stuck on OpenLDAP.
>> Is that absolutely required?  ;-)

No, OpenLDAP is only required for the dirmngr.  However with 2.1 Dirmngr
is resonsible for all network access (keyservers etc.), thus eventually
you need to support it.  ./configure --disable-dirmngr allows to build
without dirmngr.

> Ah... openldap is built and gnupg's ./configure is happy with it, but
> now I'm getting this very odd error triggered from gl/allocsa.c with
> both 2.1.0beta3 and the head of master:

I don't know.  You may want to check whether gnulib has updates for this
code.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner