Signing non self-signed key impossibile with GNUPG since > 1.2.x ?

Harakiri harakiri_23 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 14:33:30 CET 2005

Why is it impossibile with GNUPG to sign old non
self-signed keys ?

Even with the allow-non-selfsigned-uid option it wont
work, you can import, export etc those keys - but it
is not possible to sign them - which makes it
impossibile to use a certain rank of trust system.

I have tested multiple versions of GNUPG,
1.2.0 Windows - the above example works
1.2.4 Unix - the above example does NOT work
1.4.0 Windows - the above example does NOT work

The error is :

User ID XXX is not self-signed.  Unable to sign.

So, what to do now ? I have to migrate back to a very
old version to make gnupg work or sign those keys i
really need to trust with PGP 8.x under windows...