[ PATCH][TESTREQ],fingerprint colorcode, V 0 .3 (!)

Atom 'Smasher' atom at suspicious.org
Wed Jul 28 05:46:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Thomas Schorpp wrote:

> and yes, you ask what you know already, humans would like to have color
> steps grouped to similar hex steps:

> |     1    Red
> |     2    Bright Red
>
> but i fear what makes real sense as requirement here is more to
> cryptographics science than ergonomics and coding...
=======================

with only 16 colors to deal with, ergonomics can take priority over ease
of coding. if it doesn't work well ergonomically, then it won't provide a
security benefit.

the real question should be, "does it make a difference how we relate hex
digits to colors?"

assuming a more-or-less random distribution of hex digits throughout a
fingerprint, and the foreseeable use of holding two instances of a color
bar next to each other for comparison, does it make any difference (in an
ergonomic sense) what hex digit corresponds to what color?

intuitively, i'd say that it doesn't make a difference... but someone with
a degree in ergonomics may have a great reason for using a particular
arrangement.

does anyone here know anyone with a degree in ergonomics?

         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for
 	 I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge
 	 and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have
 	 no iron.  Their spears are made of cane...
 	 They would make fine servants...
 	 With fifty men we could subjugate them all and
 	 make them do whatever we want."
 		-- Christopher Columbus,
 		after "Discovering America"