Strange output when generating a revocation certificate

Matthew Byng-Maddick gnupg at lists.colondot.net
Fri Mar 21 10:31:04 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 05:52:21PM +0100, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 04:18:04PM +0000, William Korb wrote:
> > So, who is Mallory, and why would I want to know this? Can we replace
> > this message with something a bit more informative (such as "This
> > certificate must now be imported into your key ring to complete the
> > revocation process" or something along those lines?
> In writing about crypto Mallory is a generic name for archetypal 'bad guy'.
> Maybe the message should be changed. In one version of my Polish translation
> I put 'bad guys' here.

Specifically, Mallory is the attacker who may try to insert extra messages,
delete blocks, change things, rather than just eavesdropping on the stream.
(The eavesdropper is just Eve). I agree, though, that if you don't know this,
then it's rather badly phrased.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <mbm at colondot.net>           http://colondot.net/