Why are there additional dashes?

Th. Fischer frosch at derfrosch.de
Wed Aug 30 15:29:05 CEST 2000

Ladies and gentlemen,

I wrote the following message to the list. The problem still persists
and is shown even more after I signed the message.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am using GnuPG 1.1.1. I am clearsigning a text file. Maybe I do not know
a feature here, but it shows a strange behavior: Whenever a line
starts with a dash, an additional dash and a space are inserted in
front of it.

A sample :

**** Begin sample ****

 Header line
- --------------

 Bla foo bar shoo.

Now a single dash:
- -
And now two dashes:
- --
And three
- ---

- --

Thorsten Fischer

**** End sample ****

This message, after singing, reads as follows:

**** Begin signed ****
**** End signed ****

Where do the extra dashes and spaces come from? And why?

Thorsten Fischer

°  frosch at derfrosch dot de  .  http://www.derfrosch.de/  .  gpg: D6F6C4D94
°                         Wo nun das Salz dumm wird, womit soll man's salzen?
°                                                               3-934678-42-4