Lutz formal spec / ROT-13 persists

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Thu Feb 12 23:08:52 CET 1998

Adam Back <aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk> writes:

> I noticed as a result of Lutz quoting a section from his OpenPGP
> formal spec to cypherpunks that it still refers to ROT-13 (he refers
> to ROT-N).

So what about replacing it by Blowfish with 160 bit key ?

Lutz told me that he votes against this, because we can't have values
for each key length.  I know that the keylength can be derived from the
DEK but there is no way to do this when using the cipher e.g. for secring
protection.

By the way, is is really required that PGP's strange CFB mode is required
for other ciphers that IDEA?

--
Werner

                                 G10 key at ftp.guug.de/pub/gcrypt/pubring.g10
              fingerprint = 8489 6CD0 1851 0E33 45DA  CD67 036F 11B8 FF3E AA0B