gcry_cipher_algo_name before gcry_cipher_open makes gcry_cipher_open fail

Andreas Mattheiss andreas.mattheiss at gmx.de
Mon Sep 13 09:55:19 CEST 2021

Hello Werner,

Am Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 10:03:40PM +0200 schrieb Werner Koch:

> I just tried this myself using my latest libgcrypt 1.9 version and don't
> run into any problem.  Please double check that the modified program is
> okay:

mystery solved.

1.) I incorrectly reported that this happens under libgcrypt 1.9.4. I must have been in the wrong ptty. The problem actually happened under version 1.4.5, which is
ancient.

2.) I failed to notice that a call to gcry_check_version is needed to initialize the library prior to doing anything else. This is described on page 4 of the manual.
Doing so, even on 1.4.5, solves to problem. Apparently, on 1.9.4, the call to gcry_check_version, is not strictly required for the test program to work correctly.

Thanks
Andreas