Argon2

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Oct 15 10:09:54 CEST 2021

Hello,

Jussi, if you have any idea about implementing Argon2 in libgcrypt,
please let us know.

Let me explain the background of mine.

Use of Argon2 in OpenPGP message were discussed sometimes.

   - 2015-10-18 about Argon2i:
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/openpgp/?gbt=1&index=IORjkQR17EURj9HQaKCqoQ2TKkI

   - These days: Proposed change including S2K with Argon2id:
   https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/merge_requests/72/diffs

For GnuPG, it's not that important, I suppose.  Probably, we won't use.
Perhaps, at maximum, it will be (only) for interoperability to other
OpenPGP implementation exchanging secret keys.

For libgcrypt, on the other hand, I think that it's good if we support
Argon2 as crypto library.  When KDF supports Argon2, it's good.

So, I wonder about how we add Argon2 into libgcrypt.

Now, I looked at this code:

   https://github.com/P-H-C/phc-winner-argon2
   CC0 or Apache Public License 2.0

Any ideas?