[gnutls-help] GnuTLS / OpenSSL / Certificate Installation HowTo

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri May 2 22:11:22 CEST 2014

On 05/02/2014 11:26 AM, Frederic Nivor wrote:
> I would like to create a TCP client/server scenario:
> - a simple C server on a VPS
> - a simple C client on another device
> And I would like to secure the TCP connection between them. GnuTLS
> seems to be a good choice (they also propose some client/server
> samples).
> My web hosting provider gave me a SSL certificate. So from now, I
> don't know how to install and configure everything in order to work
> properly:
> - from the SSL certificate installation (if I need to),
> - how to use GnuTLS in my client/server program with those
> certificates (if needed),
> - ...
> Can somebody explain the all thing please ?

You're probably interested in the GnuTLS documentation and examples
about X.509 certificate use and verification:

 http://www.gnutls.org/manual/gnutls.html#X_002e509-certificates

 http://www.gnutls.org/manual/gnutls.html#Echo-server-with-X_002e509-authentication

 http://www.gnutls.org/manual/gnutls.html#Verifying-a-certificate

If you want to experiment without writing your own client yet, you can
also use the gnutls-serv and and gnutls-cli command-line clients to set
up a connection using the keys (search for x509 in the man pages for
these tools for details about how to select a different certificate for
them).

Your subject line also mentions OpenSSL, but your question doesn't; but
this is probably the wrong list for OpenSSL support; OpenSSL is a
different library that implements some of the same protocols that GnuTLS
implements.

hope this helps,

	--dkg