[gnutls-devel] requiring a Developer Certificate Of Origin (DCO)

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Fri Jul 5 13:23:32 CEST 2013

Hello,
 Since some time we allow the copyright of contributions to be
something else than FSF. To avoid any of the side-effects of that
policy, I was thinking of requiring a developer to send a DCO [0] to
the mailing list, and then using the signoff headers in git. This is
similar to how the Linux-kernel and libgcrypt use now the DCO. That
would be of course only needed if one hasn't already transferred the
copyright to FSF. How does it look to you? I'm trying to minimize the
hassle of contributing while still having some overview on the
contributed code.

The text could be something like:
"When contributing code that is not assigned to FSF, you will need to
assert that the contribution is in accordance to the "Developer's
Certificate of Origin" as found in the file "doc/DCO.txt". That can be
done by sending a mail with your real name to the gnutls-devel mailing
list. Then just make sure that your contributions (patches), contain a
"Signed-off-by" line, with your name and e-mail address."

[0]. http://gitorious.org/gnutls/gnutls/blobs/master/doc/DCO.txt