[gnutls-devel] end of life of 2.12 and possible relicense on 3.1

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Feb 4 13:00:29 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 12:40 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> Also I am considering into having the next releases in 3.1.x under
> LGPLv2.1 instead of LGPLv3. This is a first step to solve the
> compatibility issues of gnutls with GPLv2 programs. However, to
> completely solve that issue, one would also need to use an older gmp
> library also licensed under LGPLv2.1. (I have not tested that
> scenario, but in the worst case it may require small changes in nettle
> or gnutls).

There are some distributions who would still baulk at shipping GnuTLS v3
even if it's relicensed, because of the EC support.

This ought to be mostly an educational issue — RFC6090 should have
settled the matter as far as GnuTLS goes. But legal departments move
slowly, and GnuTLS v3 wouldn't get into Fedora or Red Hat with EC
support yet. It would make some sense to make it optional too.

--
dwmw2